This week’s Valentine’s Day post has lots of literacy-boosting activities to try at home: coloring pages, songs, finger plays word searches, writing ideas and more.
Word Searches – You can find Valentine’s Day word searches www.google.com/search?sourceid=navclient&aq=0&oq=Valentine%E2%80%99s+Day+word+searches+for+kids&ie=UTF-8&rlz=1T4RNRN_enUS410&q=valentine%E2%80%99s+day+word+searches+for+kids&gs_upl=0l0l0l27563lllllllllll0&aqi=g1″ href=”https://www.google.com/search?sourceid=navclient&aq=0&oq=Valentine%E2%80%99s+Day+word+searches+for+kids&ie=UTF-8&rlz=1T4RNRN_enUS410&q=valentine%E2%80%99s+day+word+searches+for+kids&gs_upl=0l0l0l27563lllllllllll0&aqi=g1″ target=”_blank”>online but creating your own is a better literacy idea.
- Brainstorm a list of Valentine’s Day words.
- Give each family member a piece of graph paper to create his own puzzle.
- On the graph paper, write the letters of each word in the squares.
- Fill in the unused squares with random letters.
- Exchange searches.
Using the letters in Valentine, create other words. Examples: lend, tin, live… If you want, you can make it a contest to see who gets the most words. You can also give extra credit for longer words.
Simple writing prompts for Valentine’s Day from Reading Rockets, plus a few of my own
- Coupon Book Create a Valentine’s Day coupon book for a family member or friend, full of simple things you will do to show your love and friendship.
- Letter Write a letter to your Mom, Dad, grandparent, brother, or sister telling them why you love them.
- Personal Memory Describe a time when you felt especially loved.
- Acrostic Poems Write an acrostic poem using a word like MOM, FRIEND, LOVE, or VALENTINE. Try this interactive acrostic learning tool from www.readwritethink.org/files/resources/interactives/acrostic/” href=”http://www.readwritethink.org/files/resources/interactives/acrostic/” target=”_blank”>ReadWriteThink [very cool].
- Conversation Heart Poems Choose the heart(s) you want to use (or pick randomly, without looking). Glue down the hearts, leaving space for your own lines in between.
- Conversation Heart Stories Start with one or more conversation hearts. Let them be the dialogue in a story.
- Want to know more about conversation hearts? All about Conversation Hearts
Valentine Word Scrambles
Make your own with your brainstormed words or try these:
Cool heartbeat demonstration
In A Heartbeat I love this!
Valentine’s Day Coloring Pages
www.theholidayzone.com/valentine/vcolor.html” href=”http://www.theholidayzone.com/valentine/vcolor.html” target=”_blank”>Holiday Zone
The Holiday Zone www.theholidayzone.com/valentine/vsongs.html” href=”http://www.theholidayzone.com/valentine/vsongs.html” target=”_blank”>Valentine’s Day Children’s Songs, Action Rhymes and Fingerplays
Valentine’s Day Activities
I hope you haven’t maxed-out on Valentine’s Day yet because this Friday I have Jokes for Valentine’s Day coming on Friday!